Research Project in Machine Learning
Title: Statistical analysis of machine learning algorithms (SAM-lab)
Principal Investigator:Prof. Arnak Dalalyan
University:ENSAE Paris, France
Research Team:Tigran Galstyan, Arshak Minasyan
Monthly Remuneration:1000 USD/30 hours a week
Anticipated duration:4 years
To be eligible for the project the applicant is expected:
- Have PhD degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Physics or Computer Science
- Have research experience in mathematical aspects of Machine Learning or Statistics
- Have experience in publishing in top journals (or participating in top conferences) of the field
- Have perfect knowledge of Linear Algebra, Analysis, and Probability Theory
- Have some experience of coding in R, Matlab, or Python
- Have essential reading and writing knowledge of English
- Have experience of high-level research in some field of applied mathematics (for the local coordinator)
- Be available 30 hours per week (20 hours commitment will also be considered)
- Good writing and pedagogical skills will be a plus
The current trend in Artificial Intelligence is to tackle most problems by statistical methods using Machine Learning algorithms. The progress needs to be backed by thorough mathematical analysis for understanding the strengths and weaknesses of various methods and for preparing the solid ground for future innovations. Another trend of recent years is that the strongest students in mathematics and computer science are choosing to specialize in Machine Learning. Master programs in Machine Learning/Data Science/Artificial Intelligence are attracting many students all over the world. This is the case in Armenia as well, but the absence of a decent Ph.D. program in this field forces the best students to leave the country. One of the aims of this project is to offer the possibility to some of them to complete their Ph.D. in Armenia.
Expected Results and Impact
- Put Armenia on the map of cutting-edge research in Machine Learning and AI
- Publish in average 4 research papers per year starting from the second year of the project
- Initiate several international collaborations by organizing a) PhD-level mini-courses taught by renowned researchers and b) an international workshop on Statistics and Machine Learning
- Foster collaborations with some potential local industrial partners such as PicsArt, Mentor Graphics, Krisp, etc.
- Motivation statement (with the detailed description of how the applicant’s qualification corresponds to the project)
- Recommendation letter (with the referee’s contacts)
- An example of a research paper written by the candidate (no matter the language, it might be a master thesis, a Ph.D. thesis, or an article)
- An example of code produced by the candidate (link to a github or another repository suffices)
Research Project in Biotechnology
Title: Development of innovative biobased technologies to promote circular economy
Principal Investigator: Prof. Garo Antranikian
University: Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Germany
Research Team: Sargis Aghayan, Ani Paloyan, Anna Poladyan, Karen Trchounian, Ella Minasyan, Diana Ghevondyan
Anticipated duration: 4 years
In Armenia, the management of waste from various industries e.g. food industries are not well developed to date. Especially the production of cheese, wine and beer has grown significantly in the last years causing environmental problems. 18,000 to 23,000 tons of cheese are being produced annually in Armenia and more than 200,000 tons of whey is produced. In Armenia, there are 11 brewing factories that produce 150,000 liters of beer. From 2015 to 2019 beer production reached up to 26 million liters generating 6.5 million tons of organic waste. Besides beer, around 50 grape processing companies use around 265,000 tons of grapes and produce 12 million liters of wine every year generating 3.6 million tons of waste. The waste generated from the above-mentioned companies are released to the environment or used in some cases as fertilizers. These organic wastes, however, are composed of various high-value organic compounds that can be used for various applications in food, feed and energy generation. The implementation of circular economy will guarantee the utilization of waste streams from the industry and generate employment and economic value.
Expected Results and Impact
The results obtained in this project will be needed to develop sustainable environmentally friendly processes for whey, wine, and beer producing companies. This will lead to utilize the biological resources more efficiently and minimize waste. The developed technology will be transferred to the partner industries. The project will provide various microorganisms and enzymes that will be deposited in a culture collection and will be used as a tool for application in related industries. Advanced methods in analytics, genetics and biochemistry will be established. Furthermore, training programs in the field of bioeconomy will be organized for students and scientists from academia and industries. The team will act as a consultant for biotech companies during the transformation process from linear to circular bioeconomy. The results will be presented at international conferences and discussed with representatives from politics, society and industry. Due to the exchange of scientists with international labs, an international network in the field of bioeconomy will be created.
The outcome of this research project will have a great impact on the development of Science and technology in Armenia. Especially the fields of biotechnology, food industry, chemical industry and environmental sciences will benefit from the success of the project. The know-how generated by this team will be transferred to various groups from academia and industry and will create an atmosphere allowing collaborations within various disciplines in Armenia. In the long run, a new generation of scientists will be generated that are well trained in basic research, but at the same time capable of developing applied technologies required for society. In particular, the awareness of environmental issues will belong to the mindset of the new generation of young Armenian researchers. It is planned that these activities will lead to the establishment of a center of biotechnology/circular bioeconomy in Armenia with different expert laboratories including enzyme technology, microbiology and process engineering.